8 Best Garage Lighting, Storage and Organization Ideas for 2023
Garages and carports are often used as a multipurpose space for storing vehicles, equipment, and tools. With any work sapce, it is essential to have proper lighting and organization in the garage to enhance functionality, increase storage space, and improve overall safety. Often a garages doubles as a workshop, gym or studio space for projects that just don't work in your house.
Having a well lit space for wood-working, crafts or just reading is impotrant. Adequate lighting helps to illuminate the work area, making it easier to complete projects, and maintenance tasks, while organized storage helps to keep the garage clutter-free and prevent accidents caused by tripping over scattered items. Whether you're a DIY enthusiast, car enthusiast or simply need extra storage space, investing in garage lighting and organization can help you make the most out of this valuable space.
LED lighting is a popular choice for garage lighting for several reasons. LED lights are highly energy-efficient and use less energy compared to traditional incandescent bulbs, saving you money on your energy bill. They provide bright and consistent illumination, making it easier to see what you're doing in the garage. LED lights have a longer lifespan compared to other types of lights, reducing the need for frequent replacements.
Here are 8 ways you can add lighting and storage options to your garage, carport, den, studio, man/woman cave or indoor spaces.
1. LED strip lights: Install LED strip lights for bright and energy-efficient illumination. These are inexpensive and handy for various corners, over desks and other nooks and crannies around your garage. They can also add a cool factor by sync'ing with music and pulsing in multi-coloured options.
LED light strips are flexible and can be easily installed in tight spaces, around corners, and under cabinets, providing ample lighting in even the darkest of corners. Overhead ceiling LED lights like those below are highly durable and resistant to impacts, vibration, and extreme temperatures, making them ideal for use in garages. Despite their high-quality features, LED lights are a cost-effective lighting solution in the long run due to their energy efficiency and long lifespan.
2. Overhead shelving: Utilize overhead shelving to maximize vertical storage space. Overhead shelving can be an effective way to utilize vertical space for storage in a garage or room, allowing you to store items that would otherwise take up valuable floor space. Installing overhead shelves in garages, basements, closets, and other areas can help you make the most of your storage space and keep your items organized and easily accessible. To maximize the space, you may consider using adjustable shelves that can be positioned to fit items of different sizes, or even consider installing shelving units that run from floor to ceiling.
3. Wall-mounted cabinets: Use wall-mounted cabinets to keep tools, equipment and other items organized. Wall-mounted cabinets are a great way to organize a garage because they allow you to maximize vertical storage space and keep your items off the floor. They can be used to store a variety of items such as tools, sporting equipment, gardening supplies, and more.
The cabinets can be mounted at different heights and widths, depending on your specific storage needs, and they can also be secured to the wall to prevent them from tipping over. Wall-mounted cabinets typically come with shelves, drawers, or both, providing ample storage options to keep items neat and organized. By using wall-mounted cabinets, you can also create a clean, uncluttered look in your garage, making it easier to find what you need when you need it.
4. Pegboard wall: Install a pegboard wall to hang tools and other items, freeing up floor space. The versatility of pegboards makes them a popular option for organizing garages. The hooks and accessories can be easily moved and adjusted as needed, allowing you to change the way items are stored based on your current needs. For example, you can use hooks to hang bicycles or garden tools, or baskets to store smaller items, such as screws and nails. Pegboards also provide a clear and visible storage solution, as opposed to items being stored in boxes or containers, where they can be difficult to find.
5. Bike rack: Store bikes securely and out of the way with a wall-mounted bike rack. A vertical bike rack is a great way to store your bicycles in a compact and space-saving manner. Vertical bike racks are designed to take up minimal floor space, allowing you to store multiple bicycles in a relatively small area. With a vertical bike rack, you can easily grab your bike and go, without having to maneuver around other stored items. This makes it a convenient option for people who use their bikes frequently. When bikes are stored vertically, they are less likely to suffer damage from other stored items or from being knocked over. This helps to keep your bikes in good condition and extends their lifespan.
6. Vacuum: A garage vacuum can be used to clean up sawdust, wood chips, dirt, and other debris that can accumulate in a garage. This helps to keep the space clean and reduces the risk of slipping or tripping. A garage vacuum can be used to clean the interior of cars, motorcycles, and other vehicles. This can help to maintain the appearance of the vehicles and prolong their lifespan.
If you spill oil, antifreeze, or other liquids in your garage, a vacuum can be used to clean them up quickly and easily. A vacuum is helpful for clearing cobwebs and spider webs or pet hair from your car or corners, ceilings, and other hard-to-reach areas, helping to keep the space looking neat and tidy. If you use power tools in your garage, such as a saw or drill, a vacuum can be used to clean up sawdust and wood chips, preventing them from clogging the tools or interfering with your work.
7. Workbench: Add an adjustable wood workbench for a dedicated workspace for projects and repairs. One of the biggest advantages of an adjustable workbench is its versatility. It allows you to change the height of the work surface to accommodate different tasks, making it suitable for a wide range of projects.
This type of workbench also provides greater stability, with adjustable legs that can be leveled to ensure a steady work surface, even on uneven floors. Another benefit of an adjustable workbench is its ability to conserve space. With the ability to adjust the height, you can store tools and materials underneath the work surface, freeing up valuable floor space. An adjustable workbench can also help to reduce fatigue and strain on your body, as it allows you to work at a comfortable height that minimizes the need for awkward postures and movements.
8. Tool storage: Use specialized tool storage solutions such as a rolling tool cabinet or a tool chest. Having removable dividers and tool storage that are made for organization of small bits is super useful. A stackable tool storage organizer with ball bearing drawer slides for heavy-duty loads increased your capacity and minimizes space.